Tungsten carbide is an enormously strong material formed by reacting carbon and tungsten at high temperatures. The strength, as well as hard wearing properties of tungsten carbide, thus obtained makes it an ideal material for use in various applications. Its availability in different grades with varying properties makes it suitable for different industrial usages. The material is one of the best when it comes to abrasion and wear resistance which makes it the top choice for the oil industries.
Features that make it perfect for the oil industry
Tungsten carbide parts have long since been used in the petroleum industry for fluid handling, valve seats, flow control valves, etc. While steel and other materials were traditionally used to make these parts, tungsten carbide easily replaced the same with industries preferring to opt for it owing to the following features:
• Abrasion and corrosion resistance, even with high strength viscous oils and fluids
• Temperature resistance
• High strength and toughness
• Dimensional stability
• Good finish
• Grade suitability with high wear resistance
What makes it better than steel?
Further, some of the key features which make tungsten carbide balls a favorite within the oil industry include:
1. High-cost effectiveness due to low wear and minimal maintenance
2. High efficiency
3. High specific gravity
4. High hardness to meet the crushing and grinding requirements within the industry
5. Highly polished, easy to clean
6. Resistant to high temperatures, abrasion, etc.
The use of tungsten carbide grinding balls for the oil industry, although costlier than traditional materials like steel is still being considered as more cost efficient in the long run owing to its long life span and low maintenance requirements.
Reasons for high demand
So, what makes tungsten carbide a highly demanded material when it comes to choosing grinding media? Some of the following factors contribute to the same:
1. High resistance to wear and abrasion making it cost effective
2. High specific gravity
3. Fine polish which makes it easy to clean, especially in industrial processes
4. High resistance to temperature, corrosion, etc.
5. Extreme hardness and density which makes it a perfect grinding material.
While it is true that the comparative cost of tungsten carbide grinding media for oil industries is higher than its traditional counterparts like steel, the long life span along with the other features mentioned above make it a more cost-effective choice in the long run.
Tungsten carbide grit usage in oil industry comes from the multiple incomparable features of the same. Following are some key features that make it a great material of choice within the oil industry:
• Hardness, toughness
• High abrasion resistance
• High-temperature resistance
• Extra protective layers
• High purity
• Increased efficiency
• Low crushing rate
What makes it perfect for hard facing?
Tungsten carbide is one of the most ideal hardfacing material for usage in oil industries where conditions require long-lasting wear and abrasion resistance. Various machinery parts are extremely expensive and need care against wear and tear. Using tungsten carbide hardfacing for oil industry machinery parts increases the life of the same. Adding an extra layer of protection to these expensive machinery parts, tungsten carbide works as a wonder material to increase efficiency while decreasing the wear and tear.
Features such as high hardness/toughness, superior abrasion resistance, high level of purity, low crushing rate and increased efficiency make tungsten carbide as an incomparable hardfacing material for industrial applications.
What makes tungsten carbide a great choice for nozzles?
• Super coarse grain hard alloy virgin raw material , 100% alloy by pressing and sintering , so that the hardness and toughness of the drill bit are increased by 30% simultaneously .
• Unique design, Drilling and digging speed raise 20%, life span extend 30%
• Dimensional stability in environments with high temperature and pressure conditions
• A fine finish which makes them easy to clean
• Great wear resistance, abrasion resistance
• Cost effective owing to long life span and negligible maintenance needs
Tungsten carbide is an invaluable material for the oil and gas exploration industries. With the tough and extreme conditions prevalent in these sectors, the instances of wear and tear of equipment and tools are high. This often adds to the expenses within these industries making the overall process less efficient.
That said, the invention of high strength materials like tungsten carbide and their usage within various industrial applications has revolutionized the sector. With its superior qualities like hardness, strength and abrasion resistance, tungsten carbide has fast replaced traditional materials in these industries. Usage of tungsten carbide for seal rings in the oil industry along with with various other tools and equipment has seen a huge surge in the past few decades.
Features that make tungsten carbide the perfect choice for seal rings
Tungsten carbide’s high tensile strength is highly acknowledged, especially in the environments and application involving high vibrations and torque. Following features are the key reasons for high usage of tungsten carbide seal rings in the oil industry:
• High strength, hardness
• High wear and tear resistance
• High fracture strength
• Ability to withstand high-pressure conditions
• High heat conductivity and resistance to temperature
• Low heat expansion coefficient
• Easy to mold in the desired shapes and sizes
• Fine finish
The properties of tungsten carbide
So what makes tungsten carbide one of the most demanded materials in the oil industry? Various properties of tungsten carbide make it the best selling material for manufacturing sleeves/bushing for the oil industry. Following are the key features that make it a favorite in the industry:
• Hardness and strength- Tungsten carbide is an extremely sturdy material with its hardness factor being 5 times higher than tool steel.
• Long life- the sturdiness of tungsten carbide also makes it a strong material to be used as sleeves in the oil industry where the chief requirement is for the material to stay in shape irrespective of the changing temperatures.
• Corrosion resistant- The factors prevalent in the oil industry create high levels of corrosions and abrasion on the metal products used. Tungsten carbide sleeves used in the oil industry are however corrosion resistant with efficient heat conduction making them a perfect material for usage in the industry.
• Low maintenance- Various other properties like high compression, strength and stability make it highly efficient and hence needing extremely low maintenance, thereby adding life to the material.
The use of tungsten carbide sleeves in the oil industry
Tungsten carbide’s properties make it a preferred product for usage in specific conditions of the oil industry like high-temperature furnace conditions, crucibles, rocket nozzles, etc. Its properties like high heat conduction, resistance to corrosion as well as material strength make tungsten carbide sleeves extremely suitable in industries and usages involving heavy friction like the oil and refinery industry.